I only have one word for this recipe...YUM! We love this chicken pot pie and it has quickly become a favorite meal in our house. I've made this for my parents and for friends, and everyone loves it. Before making this recipe, I'd never had chicken pot pie, but now I know it's a delicious meal!
This recipe is another from the fabulous website of Recipezaar.com. It's easy to put together and I usually like to prep the veggies ahead of time, so I can just throw it all together and bake it. I use store bought pie crust (because it's easy and tasty!), cut back the chicken to 2 cups and as usual, use whole wheat flour and skim milk. I highly recommend this pot pie...it's amazing.
Post baked and after we ate some. :)
Delicious Chicken Pot Pie, by Recipezaar
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup melted margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 pie crusts (either store bought or your own recipe)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to sautéed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.
- Combine broth and half and half.
- Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken and stir well.
- Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.