What’s up, doc?
Carrot cake is probably my most favorite cake. It’s delicious and it’s got carrots in it, so it’s totally healthy and fat free, right? :) My dad loves carrot cake, so for his birthday last month I baked him one!
This is by far, the best carrot cake that I’ve ever had! It’s flavored with the perfect amount of spice and it is filled with carrots (of course), pineapple, coconut and pecans. Plus, when paired with a cream cheese frosting…oh my…it’s pure heaven!
I’ve made this recipe a few times and surprisingly, I don’t make any changes to it. Something weird happened when I made it for my dad though. I’m pretty sure that I was paying attention and using all the right measurements, but for some reason my batter was very dry and tough to stir. I added a few tablespoons of skim milk to smooth it out, and the cake turned out fine and delicious…but it was just weird. I still don’t know what happened. Oh well. If you have a carrot cake lover in the family or if you just want to try the most delicious carrot cake on the planet, I recommend this recipe.
Just call me “Sara Lee.”
After I “fixed” the batter.
Carrot Cake, by Recipezaar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
Wilton Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan or 2 round 9 inch pans.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth.
- Stir in carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple. Pour into 9x13 inch pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or in round pans for 35 – 40 minutes. Don't panic, the centre will sink a little.
- Allow to cool; when cool, frost the cake.
- To make the frosting: Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth; add the icing sugar and beat until creamy.