I think broccoli is my favorite vegetable. Well, no, I take that back. I might like carrots a bit more, but broccoli is a close 2nd. Have any of you tried the Broccoli Salad that you can buy in a kit at Costco? If you haven’t, I can tell you that it is delicious. However, I’m also going to tell you not to go buy it and to just make this recipe because it tastes exactly the same, if not better! :)
This Broccoli Salad is one of my new favorite side dishes, thanks to a blog that I visit frequently, Anne Strawberry. I’ve made it about 3 times in the past month or so. It is full of fresh broccoli, crunchy toppings and a sweet dressing, and it’s just delicious. This Broccoli Salad is crunchy, sweet and savory all at the same time and it makes for a quick side dish. I’ve made the original recipe below and then I’ve also made a few modifications to suit our tastes. I don’t like a lot of dressing on my salads, so you’ll see below that I decreased the amounts a bit.
Ready to eat!
Broccoli Salad by Anne Strawberry
- 4 - 6 cups chopped broccoli flowerets (I use 6 cups)
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup toasted sunflower seeds (1/3 cup - I tried using pecans once, but preferred the sunflower seeds)
- 1/3 cup raisins (I use Craisins)
- 8 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise (3/4 cup - I use Light Mayo)
- ½ cup sugar (1/3 cup)
- 1 ½ T. apple cider vinegar (red wine works, too) (about 1 tbs)
- After making dressing, toss on salad and combine.
- Serve immediately.