Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Most Amazing Carrot Cake

What’s up, doc?

bugs-bunny-forever1

Carrot cake is probably my most favorite cake.  It’s delicious and it’s got carrots in it, so it’s totally healthy and fat free, right? :)  My dad loves carrot cake, so for his birthday last month I baked him one!

This is by far, the best carrot cake  that I’ve ever had!  It’s flavored with the perfect amount of spice and it is filled with carrots (of course), pineapple, coconut and pecans.  Plus, when paired with a cream cheese frosting…oh my…it’s pure heaven! 

I’ve made this recipe a few times and surprisingly, I don’t make any changes to it.  Something weird happened when I made it for my dad though.  I’m pretty sure that I was paying attention and using all the right measurements, but for some reason my batter was very dry and tough to stir.  I added a few tablespoons of skim milk to smooth it out, and the cake turned out fine and delicious…but it was just weird.  I still don’t know what happened.  Oh well.  If you have a carrot cake lover in the family or if you just want to try the most delicious carrot cake on the planet, I recommend this recipe.

Enjoy!

 IMG_2191

Ingredients.

IMG_2192

Just call me “Sara Lee.”

IMG_2193

After I “fixed” the batter.

IMG_2194

Frosting ingredients.

IMG_2195

Cooling cakes.

IMG_2198

Ta-da!

IMG_2199

Mmmm.

Carrot Cake, by Recipezaar

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained

Wilton Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan or 2 round 9 inch pans.
    2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth.
    3. Stir in carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple. Pour into 9x13 inch pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or in round pans for 35 – 40 minutes.  Don't panic, the centre will sink a little.
    4. Allow to cool; when cool, frost the cake.
    5. To make the frosting: Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth; add the icing sugar and beat until creamy.

    6 comments:

    1. Yummy! I love carrot cake-but can you believe I have never made one!!! I just realized that...hmmm maybe i should give it a try;)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm sorry to admit but I'm not much of a carrot cake eater but this looks yummy and BTW you have a really nice kitchen! I would not leave it if my kitchen looked like yours LOL!

      XOXO~ Renee

      p.s. I have an award for you here: http://steelergirl83.blogspot.com/2010/05/awards-day.html

      ReplyDelete
    3. That's my favorite thing about carrot cake--it's so healthy!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Sara Lee...can you come make me some of that tasty looking cake?! hahah YUM!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. YUM!! I've never made carrot cake on my own, but I love to eat it!

      ReplyDelete
    6. MMM, carrot cake calls to me...I can't believe I didn't try it until, like, a year ago. Bad decision on my part.

      I've never had it with pineapple, though...I'm intrigued! I'll have to try it next time :)

      ReplyDelete

    You got something to say?? :)