In light of our fabulous news about getting a puppy (please see my other blog for details), and the fact that I still have Chex cereal to use up, I decided to make Chex Muddy Buddies, otherwise known as Puppy Chow. Does anyone else called it Puppy Chow? Jerm looked at my like I had a second head when I asked him if he wanted me to make him some Puppy Chow...but that's what I've always called it.
This is a very simple and easy recipe, and it's one of my favorite sweet treats. I do not make it very often because when I do I just want to eat it, but it's great every once in a while and excellent for get-together's. The recipe is from the box/website of Chex cereal. By the way, if you have some free time, check out the Chex website because they have a TON of great Chex mix recipes. There is one with coconut and ginger that Jerm and I love. Yummy! So, next time you want a sweet chocolately snack, try this Puppy Chow. Oh, and check out the substitution tip from the website....I'm definitely going to try that the next time I make this.
All mixed, pre powdered sugar.
Post powdered sugar and cooling.
- 9 cups Corn Chex®, Rice Chex®, Wheat Chex® or Chocolate Chex® cereal (or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resalable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Substitution: Peanut butter and chocolate are a favorite flavor combo, but peanut butter lovers can substitute peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips to intensify that flavor.