Saturday, March 28, 2009

Puppy Chow

In light of our fabulous news about getting a puppy (please see my other blog for details), and the fact that I still have Chex cereal to use up, I decided to make Chex Muddy Buddies, otherwise known as Puppy Chow.  Does anyone else called it Puppy Chow?  Jerm looked at my like I had a second head when I asked him if he wanted me to make him some Puppy Chow...but that's what I've always called it.

This is a very simple and easy recipe, and it's one of my favorite sweet treats.  I do not make it very often because when I do I just want to eat it, but it's great every once in a while and excellent for get-together's.  The recipe is from the box/website of Chex cereal.  By the way, if you have some free time, check out the Chex website because they have a TON of great Chex mix recipes.  There is one with coconut and ginger that Jerm and I love.  Yummy!  So, next time you want a sweet chocolately snack, try this Puppy Chow.  Oh, and check out the substitution tip from the website....I'm definitely going to try that the next time I make this.

Enjoy!

IMG_1405 

Ingredients.

IMG_1406

Choc/PB/butter.

IMG_1407

All mixed, pre powdered sugar.

 IMG_1408[2]

Post powdered sugar and cooling. 

Chex Muddy Buddies a.k.a. Puppy Chow

Ingredients

  • 9 cups Corn Chex®, Rice Chex®, Wheat Chex® or Chocolate Chex® cereal (or combination)
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions

  1. Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
  2. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
  3. Stir in vanilla.
  4. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resalable food-storage plastic bag.
  5. Add powdered sugar.
  6. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Substitution:  Peanut butter and chocolate are a favorite flavor combo, but peanut butter lovers can substitute peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips to intensify that flavor.

11 comments:

  1. Oh how I love puppy chow! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it Puppy Chow! And I call it Yummmmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently found out about chex muddy buddies but haven't made it yet as it looks like it will be WAY too addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I call it delicious! I could eat way too much of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had that since I was a kid. Good memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm I love this stuff. I call it Puppy Chow, too! THough I've heard its also called Muddy Buddies or something like that... SO not as much fun as calling it Puppy Chow. :) I love the little "reactions" part of your blog by the way, cute!

    -Stephanie
    http://icecreambeforedinner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive seen this recipe and have been wanting to try it. Love the name! I think I will have to make it soon :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol! PUPPY CHOW! I can just imagine asking my friends, "hey, you want some puppy chow?" they'll probably think I was insulting them or something. but bet they'll forget it in a jiffy with one taste of this! it sounds perfectly crunchy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always snacking on my Chex cereal :), I think it would disappear even faster if I put this snack recipe to use!

    ReplyDelete
  10. greetings to all.
    I would first like to thank the writers of this blog by sharing information, a few years ago I read a book called costa rica investment in this book deal with questions like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you want to buy property for investment and capital growth potential, then you need to consider investing in Costa Rica real estate.

    Costa Rican real estate prices have been rising for years, and as more foreign buyers look at investing in Costa Rican real estate, prices look set to soar. Already prices in some areas are booming - and many properties have doubled in value in just two years! Costa Rica real estate

    ReplyDelete

You got something to say?? :)