This recipe/idea is SO simple, that I almost feel bad posting about it...almost. We had Jake and Kayla over for dinner last week and I wanted to make a dessert too. Jerm asked me, "Well, do you really need to make a dessert?" Ummm, hello? Desserts/sweets are my favorite thing to make, plus it was Kayla's birthday! Yes Jerm, I needed to make a dessert!
Anyway, it was a busy week, so I wanted something simple to throw together. When I think simple, I think cake mix. But how could I jazz up the cake mix and make it a bit special?? Hmmm...this is where that bag of mini Snickers, that I bought on sale, come into play. I'm a big fan of adding candy to baked goods. Candy can easily spice up your treats and add a pleasant surprise!
For the cupcakes I decided to make, I added one mini Snickers to the center of each and topped it with a bit of additional batter. The outside chocolate layer of the Snickers melted into the batter, making it extra chocolately, while the caramel and peanuts added a scrumptious center to the cupcakes. Frosted with "Funfetti" frosting, these cupcakes were delicious! I ate one with breakfast the other day. :) So, next time you're looking to jazz up your cake mix try adding some candy to the batter for a tasty surprise.
Batter and Snickers.
Frosted and sprinkled.
About to be my breakfast! Look at that yummy center.
Surprise Center Cupcakes, by me
- 1 box cake mix (any flavor you'd like)
- eggs, oil and water (amount that cake mix brand calls for)
- 1 jar of frosting (any flavor you'd like)
- Mini chocolate candies (Snickers, Peanut Butter Cups, Twix, etc.)
- Follow baking directions on the box, but just add one candy to the center of each cupcake or randomly throughout the cake pan that you're using.