The Alice Springs Chicken from Outback Steakhouse is one of Jeremy’s favorite meals there. For those of you who have never had it, it’s a grilled chicken breast that is marinated in a honey mustard sauce, topped with mushrooms, bacon and cheese. I’ll admit…it’s pretty delicious and probably has a million calories in it!
In selecting our meals for the week, Jeremy chose Alice Springs Chicken and I told him that he was in charge of finding me a recipe. Apparently, I trained him well because he found a great recipe from the fabulous, Recipezaar. This recipe is very, very close to the real thing! The honey mustard sauce is one of the best I’ve had (and I’m not even a huge fan of honey mustard) and the cheesy bacon on top is amazing. When I made this tonight, I cut the recipe in half, used light cheese, and left out the mushrooms, since Jerm isn’t a fan of them. The chicken breasts that I used were huge, so we both only ate half…which means we have leftovers for tomorrow. Yum! So, here’s another highly recommended meal from our kitchen.
Hot out of the oven.
Served with veggies and au gratin potatoes. Yum!
Now This is Alice Springs Chicken, by Recipezaar
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- With an electric mixer combine the mustard, honey, and 1 Tbsp oil, and lemon juice for 1 minute.
- Pour 1/2 mixture over chicken in a gallon ziplock to marinate in fridge 2-24 hours.
- Chill remaining marinade to serve with chicken.
- After marinating chicken, preheat oven to 375°F Put remaining oil in frying pan. Heat and sear chicken on both sides.
- Transfer chicken to oven safe pan and brush with marinade.
- Meanwhile in frying pan add butter and sauté mushrooms.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and peppers.
- Stack bacon across each breast, spoon mushrooms on each breast and then approx 1/3- 1/2 cup cheese on each.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with honey mustard marinade.