Friday, April 2, 2010

Honey-Ginger Crunch Mix

I love snacks.  They are a great way to make your tummy stop rumbling in between meals.  Are you looking for a new snack?  Well, I suggest that you make this sweet Chex mix, because it is delicious!  I came across this recipe about a year ago when I had extra Chex to spare, after making the regular Chex mix.  It’s a nice change from the traditional savory Chex mix and it’s got some of my favorite ingredients in it. 

This mix contains nuts, pretzels, coconut, Craisins and honey.  Yum!  Plus, it’s got ground ginger in it.  I don’t know about you, but I love ginger.  It’s such a great flavor and it’s a bit unexpected in this mix.  Of course, I made a few modifications to the recipe, based on what I had in the pantry.  I used cashews and peanuts instead of almonds, and I added chopped, dried apricots with the Craisins.  Mmmm, I love this mix.  If you’re ever looking for a new type of Chex mix, head on over the the Chex website because there are a bunch of delicious varieties to try.

Enjoy!

IMG_2081

Ingredients.

IMG_2082

Cooling.

IMG_2083

Ready to eat!

Honey-Ginger Crunch Mix

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger or cardamom
  • 6 cups Rice Chex® cereal
  • 2 cups bite-size pretzel twists
  • 1 cup unblanched whole almonds
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup dried cranberries or pineapple

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 250°F. Spray large roasting pan with cooking spray.
  2. In 1-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, butter, honey and ginger to boiling. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Into roasting pan, measure cereal, pretzels, almonds and coconut. Stir in brown sugar mixture until evenly coated.
  3. Bake 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool, about 15 minutes. Place in serving bowl; stir in cranberries. Store in airtight container.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I love a good snack mix:) I was actually just making something similar in the kitchen today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so good, i wish i could dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could totally go for some of this to snack on right now! Yummy flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've been meaning to comment on this post but can never comment when i read it at work...i LOVE snack mixes and am totally making this for a party sometime! if i make it just for ryan and i, i will eat it ALL and that's dangerous :)

    happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, this could be dangerous for me. It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete

You got something to say?? :)