Monday, April 13, 2009

Awesome Carrot Cake

Yesterday, my parents and grandma came up to visit us, meet our puppy and have dinner.  With dinner, of course, I just had to make dessert!  Since December, I've "owed" my dad a carrot cake (we make deals where I owe him a cake/treat/etc.) and this was my chance to finally make it for him. 

I found this recipe years ago on Recipezaar.  It is the BEST carrot cake I've ever had!  It's got carrots, coconut, pineapple and walnuts in it, which creates a delicious, chunky texture.  Plus, it's so moist and flavorful.  Stop what you're doing right now...and go make this cake!  It's that good.  In fact, I just had a piece for breakfast!  What?  It's got veggies and fruit in it, so it's healthy right? :)

As usual, I made some "healthier" modifications: whole wheat flour, egg whites, 1/2 applesauce for the oil and I cut back on the sugar by 1/4 cup.

Enjoy!

IMG_1456 

Ingredients.

IMG_1457

Pineapple, carrots and coconut.

 IMG_14582

The batter all mixed.

 IMG_14592

One layer, just flipped out of the pan.

 IMG_14612

Frosted with cream cheese icing and sprinkled with coconut.

 IMG_14625

About to be my breakfast!

Why-I-Joined-Zaar Carrot Cake, by Recipezaar

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
FROSTING THAT SARA USED
  • 1 (8 ounce) (light - 1/3 the fat) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cups icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

    2. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

    3. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.

    4. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth.

    5. Stir in carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple.

    6. Pour into 9x13 inch pan and bake for about 45 minutes.

    7. Don't panic, the center will sink a little.

    8. Allow to cool; when cool, ice the cake.

    9. For frosting: Cream butter and cream cheese.  Add sugar, 1 cup at a time and then vanilla.

    11 comments:

    1. Mmmm, your carrot cake looks like a winner to me! Definitely one of my favorite cakes. Mmmmm!

      ReplyDelete
    2. WOW!! Your carrot cake looks amazing. I really like the "healthier" modifications. What do you think it would taste like with Splenda?

      ReplyDelete
    3. This looks so delicious, Sara! I like the pineapple in it!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hello Sara, just to drop by and to let you know that your carrot cake look really awesome indeed.
      Cheers,
      elra

      ReplyDelete
    5. This looks great! I adore carrot cake. I love the addition of pineapple, I'll have to try this out!

      ;) amy

      ReplyDelete
    6. That is an awesome looking carrot cake! Youve inspired me to make one soon! Yum!

      ReplyDelete
    7. carrot cake just rocks my socks! haha

      ReplyDelete
    8. YUM!! My sis-in-law makes a carrot cake similart to this! I love carrot cake. Yours looks GREAT!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oh how I wish I could have a slice of this delicous cake. Carrot cake is one of my favorites.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I haven't had carrot cake in years! I better make one, looks so good!

      ReplyDelete

    You got something to say?? :)