Hello blog world! I'm sorry that I've been MIA lately, but our new puppy has been keeping us pretty busy. I've been taking pictures of the meals that I've made, but I just haven't found the time to blog about them...until now.
So, getting back in action, I present to you a delicious BBQ Chicken Pizza! I love pizza and I love BBQ sauce, so whoever created the idea of BBQ Chicken Pizza is a hero in my book. This recipe is from Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade on Food Network. Unlike a traditional BBQ Chicken Pizza, this one has sliced apples and bacon bits on top, which adds a great texture to it. I've made this a few times and Jeremy and I love it. I've always cooked it in the oven, as opposed to cooking it on the grill, as the recipe directs but I get it'd be great and crispy that way. Use your favorite BBQ sauce and add any additional toppings that you'd like. Cilantro goes great on BBQ Chicken Pizza!
Ready to eat!
BBQ Chicken Pizza, by Sandra Lee
- 1/2 pound chicken cutlets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza dough (recommended: Pillsbury)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup green apple, sliced
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Set up grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking.
- Brush chicken with vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper. Place chicken on the grill and cook until done, about 2 minutes per side. When done, slice into 1-inch pieces, reserve.
- Spray a perforated disposable cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Carefully remove pizza dough from can. Unroll dough and place on cookie sheet on the grill. Let cook 2 minutes and turn pizza over.
- Spread BBQ sauce over pizza leaving a 1-inch border. Next, top with mozzarella cheese, diced apples, chicken, and bacon pieces.
- Cover with grill lid and cook 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot, topped with green onions.
- Cook's Note: Cooking indoors: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside. Carefully unroll dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Press out dough with clean hands to form 13 by 9-inch rectangle. Use oven mitts to place baking sheet in preheated oven. Bake in for 7 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Use oven mitts to remove crust from oven and top as directed. Use oven mitts to return to oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted and has begun to bubble.